Monday 1 March 2010

Interview with Karl Mead



Why have you chosen to study Graphic Design?
Well, I started off by studying Art at GCSE level and I really liked woodwork and 3d work. With my style being very graphic esque, I was told I should focus on Graphic Design. After doing a National Diploma and an Art Foundation course I realised this was what I wanted to do.

Why did you choose to study in Leeds at the College of Art?
I’m originally from Norfolk and there isn’t much around there. I think Leeds has a nice vibe, and there is everything here. As for the College, I found it to be a very comfortable and welcoming place.

How are you enjoying student life?
I’m really enjoying it. I like going out every now and again. The diet could definitely be better, but I’m not a very good cook!

What is your favourite food?
Mums roast dinner or course. But being up in Leeds, I usually cook simple things like egg on toast, or go out for a spicy Mexican.

Are you missing home?
I miss not seeing my family and friends as much.

How often do you go home?
I go back at least once a month. I’m trying to get used to living on my own.

What inspires you as a Graphic designer?
I get my inspiration from books, and seeing other people’s work. I like the style of work by Andre Venger and Alphons Mucha. I also like gypsy tattoo art.

Do you have a favourite designer?
I like the work of Oded Ezer, with his own unique, Arabic style, and how he works with calligraphy and makes it 3d.

What do you want to do when you finish the course?
I really want to go travelling in Asia, as a bit of a break before getting a job with a design agency. I would prefer to work in London, and then hopefully in New York in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment