Wednesday 25 April 2012

Design Strategy Presentation

Had the design strategy presentation today, which I think went well. I have a rough plan of what I want to do when I leave university, but obviously things aren't set in stone as other opportunities may become available between now.

I started the presentation with defining my position statement, as it basically sums up what I am about and what I am interested in. During the first module of the third year I knew that branding was something that I wanted to learn more about and do more of, but it was only toward the end of that module that I realised the sectors I am interested most by are fashion, luxury and lifestyle, and my FMP projects have allowed me to peruse this interest by focusing down to specifics, creating brand identities, promotion and publication.

The briefs I have chosen over the year have allowed me to select subjects that I like and I have also utilised print processes such as screen print, foiling laser cut and binding, as aesthetics and attention to detail is important for designing for the luxury factor to make products look and feel luxury. I have had the chance been involved with live briefs: logo for 1000 Women, Fine Art Yearbook, identity for Fashion Designer, and I have also pitched ideas for: Waven logo and brand concept, Louise Tiler logo, St Martin's logo brand identity, D&AD GBH poster, LCA End of Year Show, and I have also created designs for the LCA Graduation promotional material of which I am going to re-photograph and then pitch to the marketing department as an idea for this years Graduation Ceremony. All of these briefs have been relatively quick turnaround briefs that have got me thinking up concepts quickly and have got me designing and working to tight deadline, which I feel has helped in preparing me for working in industry. Some have not been chosen by the client, but I have still enjoyed pursuing these briefs to be in with the chance of my ideas begin chosen. If I didn't try, then I wouldn't get anywhere. I just need to persist.

At the start of the year I set out to improve my skills and feel I now more confident in contacting designers and studios, I have improved my Adobe software skills, I have the ability to work to deadlines producing high standard resolution, I have a professional attitude whilst working with clients and being abel to produce resolution that solve their problems, and I now have knowledge of who I am as a designer and know what I am capable of doing. I also have been able to project manage a lot better over the FMP project having to juggle 6 main briefs. An essential skill for working in industry

Regarding my self identity, I have decided on a logo that I love and have already created business cards incorporating the logo through lazer-cut which I feel worked really nicely. I would like to get these produced in higher quality on better stock and maybe with coloured edges. I am not sure about the costing of this, but I would be able to get a stamp with my contact details and apply them myself to possibly cut out actual printing cost.

I have yet to set up a website with my domain name to direct people to, and hopefully get my name out there and strike up opportunities.

My placement with ISC, was an opportunity to work in house a part of a brand, and I enjoyed the experience, begin abel to work on live briefs creating artwork that was used for a capping of theirs. Having to work to deadlines meant ideas generation and concept had to be thought up quickly and then produced to specific scales in various formats. The company is growing and even though the main studio is in Australia were all the designers are, and the one in Leeds is an office, they are wanting to take on board some designers and build it up more at the Leeds site. This could be a potential opportunity for the future as they would like designers there over summer. The office environment meant there was a lack of creative atmosphere to bounce ideas off other designers, and also of studio equipment, but if they were to hire designers a suspect that that would change.

To compare this experience with the placement I did at PAB I would say they were totally different on every level. I got an insight into all aspects of the company and not just the studio, but actually seeing briefs from initial meeting sight through to production and delivery. It was eye opening to see the amount of work produced in such a relatively short amount of time, but I know that speed will come with confidence and experience. The clients are mainly automotive here, which would not be my first choice of market to design for but I enjoyed the experience and getting involved with a real, busy working studio.

The Design Context publication has allowed me to get into contact with studios that are doing what I would like to do, and to ask questions and get opinions from some of the best in their field. I will try to keep up contact with them and send versions of the design context publication to them to let them know how I portrayed their answers. And i will ask them for portfolio advice.

I haven't decided if I am going to stay in Leeds or Manchester. I am going back home when I leave uni, so Manchester would be the most ideal. I have found studios in both Leeds and Manchester that I am going to send portfolio samples out to once everything from FMP is final and photographed, and to try and push for placements for over the summer. Job opportunities will be the decider of where I will live.

And finally, and great piece of advice from Paul Arden, 'It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be'.



No comments:

Post a Comment